Chilika Lake Puri Entry Fee
- No Entry Fee
Chilika Lake Puri Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 36 reviews
Chilika Lake Puri Address: Chilika, Satapada, Khordha District, Puri, Odisha, 752001, India
Take some time out for Chilika Lake in Puri to enjoy an escapade in tranquility. Situated on the eastern coast of India, the Chilika Lake is the largest brackish water lagoon in Asia and the second-largest in the world. It spans an area of over 1,100 square km and its unique biodiversity and scenic beauty have earned it the status of a Ramsar Wetland of International Importance.
One of the most notable features of Chilika Lake is the presence of numerous islands within its waters. Some of the prominent islands include Nalabana Island, Kalijai Island, and Honeymoon Island.
The lake's surrounding wetlands and marshes are a crucial habitat for several endangered and rare species of wildlife including the Irrawaddy dolphins and the Olive Ridley Sea turtles. The presence of such diverse and unique biodiversity has led to the establishment of the Chilika Lake Wildlife Sanctuary to protect and conserve the delicate ecosystem.
For tourists and visitors, Chilika Lake offers a delightful experience. Boating and ferry services are available for exploring the lake and its islands, allowing visitors to witness the abundant avian life, pristine waters, and serene landscapes. The surrounding areas also boast rich cultural heritage, with nearby towns like Puri being famous for their ancient temples, vibrant markets, and religious festivals.
In conclusion, Chilika Lake in Puri, Odisha, is a treasure trove of biodiversity and a haven for nature lovers. Its vibrant ecosystem, diverse wildlife, and stunning landscapes make it a must-visit destination for anyone seeking a close encounter with nature's wonders.
Chilika Lake Bird Sanctuary
The Chilika Lake Bird Sanctuary is a haven for avian biodiversity and a prominent part of Chilika Lake's ecological landscape. It is one of the most significant bird sanctuaries in the country and an essential stopover for migratory birds during their winter sojourn.
The sanctuary is situated on Nalabana Island, which covers an area of about 15.59 square km and is a designated area within the vast expanse of Chilika Lake. During the monsoon season, the island gets submerged underwater, but as the waters recede, it becomes a lush and fertile habitat for a wide variety of bird species.
Every year, during the winter months, Chilika Lake Bird Sanctuary becomes home to an incredible number of migratory birds that escape the harsh weather conditions of their breeding grounds in places as far as Siberia, Central Asia, and other parts of Europe and Asia. The primary attraction among these migratory visitors is the Greater Flamingo, whose vibrant pink plumage stands out against the backdrop of the serene blue waters.
Apart from the majestic flamingos, the sanctuary also welcomes numerous other bird species, including various types of storks, ducks, geese, sandpipers, pelicans, and herons, among others. The sight of these birds taking flight in massive flocks or gracefully wading through the waters is a breathtaking spectacle, making it a paradise for birdwatchers and photographers.
The Chilika Lake Bird Sanctuary is not just a visual treat; it also plays a crucial role in the conservation of these avian species. The sanctuary provides a safe and undisturbed environment for the birds to rest, feed, and breed. The abundant food resources available in the form of fish and other aquatic life in the brackish waters of the lake sustain the birds during their stay.
Flora at Chilika Lake
Featuring a rich floral system, the Chilika Lake boasts various aquatic plants that provide shelter and food for many aquatic animals and also play a crucial role in maintaining water quality. Some of the common ones are water hyacinth, water lilies, lotus, duckweed, and Vallisneria.
Here you can also find mangrove forests with Reeds and Grass that offer cover and nesting sites for various bird species and act as filtration systems for the lake's water. Casuarina plantations are also found in some areas surrounding the lake. These fast-growing trees help stabilize sandy soils and provide nesting sites for birds like seagulls.
Things to do at Chilika Lake, Puri
1. Boat Rides: Take a boat ride on Chilika Lake to explore its vast expanse and visit different islands. You can choose from various types of boats including motorboats and traditional wooden boats, to enjoy the scenic views and spot wildlife.
2. Birdwatching: Chilika Lake is a haven for birdwatchers, especially during the winter season when thousands of migratory birds from different parts of the world visit the lake. Spot colorful and rare bird species while enjoying the serene surroundings.
3. Indulge in Water Sports: Try your hand at various water sports like kayaking, canoeing, and windsurfing to set your heart racing. It is a great way to soak in the calmness of the lake.
4. Admire the Sunset Views: Witness breathtaking sunset views over Chilika Lake. The changing colors of the sky reflecting on the lake create a magical sight.
5. Experience Camping: Camp around Chilika Lake and see what it feels like to be under the stars. You can light a bonfire, prepare your food, or play some fun games with your companions to have a great time. It’s a lifetime experience that everyone should try!
6. Photography: The landscapes around the lake are lush and picturesque, making it a perfect location for photographers to click some amazing shots. You can capture the vibrant birdlife and the essence of life around the lake in your camera to cherish your visit for your entire life.
7. Visit Kalijai Island: Pay heed to Kalijai Island, which is known for its religious significance. It is home to the temple of Goddess Kalijai, and a visit here provides a spiritual experience along with stunning views of the lake.
8. Head to Satpada Island: Explore the town of Satpada, which is located on the southern side of Chilika Lake. It is a popular destination for boating and dolphin watching.
9. Explore Local Villages: Visit the fishing villages around the lake to experience the local culture, interact with the friendly villagers, and learn about their traditional fishing practices.
Entry Fee and Timings of Chilika Lake, Puri
There is no entry fee to visit Chilika Lake. It can be visited at any time of the day. However, the recommended timings would be from dawn to dusk. Overall, you can spend 2-3 hours to make the most of your visit.
Best Time to Visit the Chilika Lake, Puri
The winter season i.e., from November to February is considered the ideal time to head to the Chilika Lake in Puri. During this period, the weather remains cool and comfortable, making it perfect for sightseeing and outdoor activities. Also, the temperatures are mild, ranging from around 15°C to 25°C, providing a respite from the scorching summers and humid monsoons.
Winter is an excellent time to take boat rides on the lake as well. You have a higher chance of spotting the famous Irrawaddy dolphins, which are found in Chilika Lake.
While winter is the peak season, it's important to note that Chilika Lake can still be visited during other times of the year. However, the monsoon season (July to September) should be avoided as heavy rainfall might disrupt travel plans and activities.
If you prefer a quieter and less crowded experience, you can consider visiting during the shoulder seasons of October and March when the weather is still pleasant, and there might be fewer tourists.
Travel Tips for Chilika Lake, Puri
- Always carry sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses with you to protect yourself from the harsh rays.
- Carry necessary medications, insect repellents, and first-aid supplies. Drink bottled or purified water to stay hydrated and avoid any waterborne illnesses.
- Consider taking guided tours with knowledgeable local guides who can provide you with insights about the lake, its wildlife, and the local culture.
- Be aware of the weather conditions during your visit. Chilika experiences extreme weather changes, from hot summers to chilly winters. Pack appropriate clothing and essentials accordingly.
- If you plan to take a boat ride on the lake, prioritize safety. Ensure that the boat you choose is in good condition and equipped with life jackets for all passengers. Follow the instructions given by the boat operator and avoid any risky behavior.
- Although the lake is a paradise for birdwatchers, it's important to maintain a respectful distance from the birds and their nesting sites. Don’t make loud noises or sudden movements that could disturb them.
- Chilika Lake is an ecologically sensitive area, so it's crucial to follow eco-friendly practices. Avoid littering and refrain from using plastic products. Dispose of waste properly and contribute to the conservation efforts of the lake.
- Certain areas of Chilika Lake, especially the bird sanctuary zones, might require permits or special permissions. Check in advance and obtain the necessary permits to avoid any inconvenience.
- Respect the local culture and customs of the region. If you visit nearby villages or temples, dress modestly and behave respectfully. Seek permission before taking photographs of people or religious sites.
How to Reach Chilika Lake, Puri?
The Chilika Lake in Puri can be easily accessed by people via local buses or a rental taxi. It is nearly 50 km away from the city centre and the journey can take approximately 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the traffic conditions.
Please note that Chilika Lake is a vast water body with different access points and islands to explore. It's advisable to plan your visit and choose the location and activities you want to experience around the lake.
And now, the following are the different ways to get down to Puri:
By Air: Biju Patnaik International Airport (BBI) in Bhubaneswar is the nearest airport that receives frequent flights from the metro cities of India. Outside the airport, you have the option of booking a private cab from the list of top car rental companies in Bhubaneswar to commute to your desired location at your utmost comfort.
By Train: Another way is to experience a smooth and comfortable train journey to Puri Railway Station from Kolkata, Chennai, Mumbai, Delhi, etc. Not only is it convenient for people of all age groups but it is also a pocket-friendly way to reach Puri. Make sure to book your train tickets in advance to enjoy your train journey to the fullest.
By Road: Puri is well-connected by road, and there are several state highways and national highways that lead to the town. You can be there in Puri by bus from various cities in Odisha and neighboring states. In case you prefer a private vehicle, you can also drive to Puri from nearby cities.
Browse our all-inclusive Puri Tour Packages to have a great time on your trip. We at Bhubaneswar Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, are well-versed with the destination including its history, culture, and lesser-known spots. Our team can tailor the Puri tour according to your preferences and interests.
We also help you create a personalized itinerary that suits your needs and includes the attractions and activities you are most interested in. Our customer support is available 24 by 7. In case of any emergency, you can get in touch with us for assistance and guidance. Please fill out the Contact Us form for more details.